Photograph of Ellis Pritchard 1914

Ellis Pritchard


Slate, Manganese & Sulphur Merchant

1881  Slate quarry agent, Glan Dwr House, Llanberis
1888–1901Castle View, Segontium Road South, Carnarfon [Carnarvon Traders]
1893Manganese merchant, Tanybwlch
1896Moelwyn House, Portmadoc

Photograph (1914) courtesy of Rhion Pritchard        

Born in Caernarfon 1851 [PRO Census: 1901], died 1917 at Porthmadog [Pritchard 2006]

Major shareholder of Welsh Manganese Co. Ltd.

1869–1897  owner Moelfre
1888owner Harlech (recorded as Llechwedd Ddu) with D Richards & Co.
1889leasor Llyn Eiddew Mawr (with George Grove Blackwell)
1890agent Cwm yr Afon and Harlech (recorded as Llechwedd Goleu)
1890–1891agent Llyn Eiddaw Mawr for Welsh Manganese Co. Ltd
1890–1898agent Llyn Du Bach
1892–1893owner Moelwyn (with Alexander Barratt and Samuel Sutcliffe)
1892–1898owner Llyn Dywarchen (1892 with Welsh Manganese Co. Ltd)
1894–1898owner Llyn Du Bach
1896–1898operator Moelfre
1896–1905operator and agent Ffridd Tyddyn Du
1897–1903?agent at Conglog slate quarry, Ffestiniog for (1897–1900) Lochart Ross (trading as Glyn Festiniog Quarry), (1900–1903?) Glyn Ffestiniog Slate Co.
1900–1903owner or operator Benallt lead mine, Llandwrog, Caernarvonshire
1901–1907owner or operator and agent Aberdunant slate mine, Dolbenmaen, Caernarvonshire
1904–1914owner or operator and/or agent West Snowdon slate quarry, Betws Garmon, Caernarvonshire
?owner Gwaith Ellis Pritchard

Holder, variously with George Grove Blackwell, Thomas Evans, David Richards and Samuel Sutcliffe of Crown Grants of lease and memorandum of renewal for minerals, gold and foreshore rights in the Merioneth parishes of Ffestiniog, Llanbedr, Llandanwg, Llandecwyn, Llanenddwyn, Llanfair, Maentwrog and Trawsfynydd and the Caernarfonshire parishes of Llanaelhaearn and Llanllyfni [PRO LRRO 16/85, 86, 88, 90, 93, 94, 96, 97, 99–102].

In 1893, in a letter to a Mr. Scott Bankes, Pritchard expressed an interest in working Moelwyn Mineral and rights over the property of Bankes [Layzell Ward 2002]. (Bankes was possibly a son or other relation of the Rev Bankes [Boyd 1975: 49, 276] who in 1857 owned the estate that included Dduallt and Moelwyn mine.)

In the account book of Griffith Roberts, blacksmith of Talsarnau who had a smithy near the bottom of Eisingrug valley [Adnabod Ardudwy 2009 10] there is an account to “Ellis Pritchard, Mango”. The account book covers the period between 1894 and 1904 and the first entry for Pitchard’s account is 31 October 1894 with the last on 31 May 1897. In total the amount comes to approximately 21 with 5 for the first year. Items include repairs to wagon parts, brakes, cylchio olwyn waggen (iron tyre for wagon wheel), iron shaft of wagon, sharpening hammers and ebill (auger), trosal (crowbar), a phig ebill (tapered gimlet?). [Parry 2010] These main items are repeated in subsequent years. The work done was presumably for Prichard’s operations at Llyn Dywarchen and Llyn Du Bach.

see also Richards & Pritchard